Sunday, October 11, 2009

Meeting My Venus

Project #2: Let's Get Personal
Manual: AC - Storytelling
Sep 25, 2009

Since mid of 2003, two of my girl friends urged me to marry. As I was in U.S I was able to avoid them for quite a while. One was my Mom and other one was my Gradma. My mom jumped into search and literally contacted all possible sources for a match, but for some reason or other none worked out. I was "happy" about it, as I thought that wedding and children would load me with more responsibilities and I may not be able to achieve my goals in my life. Well, there was a saying that happiness doesn't last forever.

It was November 2004. I left to India for my sister's wedding. Since I was physically there my mom started prodding me. I was able to manager for first couple of days. On third day, when I woke up I saw my uncle discussing with my parents. He had brought a horoscope of his friend's daughter. Now, I had to face the situation head on. I told that I am not interested. But my mom insisted and this time my dad also joined the other side. My mom threatened me that I won't see her, if I don't agree to the wedding. I said "Well, you won't see me, if you force me." As the debate heated, my uncle told that first let's see the horoscope and if there is a match, then we can discuss about it later. I was relieved. But the relief didn't last long. Yes, the horoscope met the minimum criteria for the match. The debate started again and this to me around my dad asked me to go and see the girl. "If you don't like, then we are not gonna force you." He also said that just my uncle and I can go and see. That sounded fair to me.

That evening I went with uncle. The girl's mom served juice to us and my uncle went inside to explore their house. In no time, I drank the juice and I was all alone in the hall. Each second seemed too long. I decided, what the heck and went inside to look for my uncle. When I passed the dining room, I saw a girl 5 feet 2 inches standing in Indian casual dress. During bachelor days I used to watch lot of movies. In all those movies the girl would be dressed up in our traditional dress, which is a "Saree." So, I thought this would be a maid. I asked her where my uncle is? She just pointed me to the room and I found my uncle there.

Few moments later, we departed their place. I was shy to ask "Where is the girl?" because all along I have been opposing the wedding. On the way my uncle asked, "Did you like the girl?" I was like "Are you kidding? You folks were busy discussing other matter and didn't even bother to show the girl to me." He said that the one whom I saw in the dining room was the "girl." Well, now I can't even tell that I didn't like the girl, because I didn't even see her properly. Now, I need to prepare for round two. That night I quickly composed a questionnaire and called my best friends to do a group review. At last I finalized the questions. I had so many questions that I spoke on the phone, no no interviewed, for 45 plus minutes to cover all the questions. After the interview, my mom asked me whether I like the girl now? I told that I am undecided. She said without liking her, why did you speak for so long? Well, I didn't know the rules. Then I confessed that "I didn't see her properly when I met her. So I can't make the decision."

On the day of my sisters wedding my relatives arranged for a formal session. Now, this is the final round folks. I saw the girl my good part told me to go for it. My evil part keep on warning me. After all these, I was undecided and confused. I couldn't say that I don't like her and at the same time couldn't say I am ready for wedding as well. The battle between good and evil began. Well, you know folks than in the end good always triumph the evil. I got married to a wonderful woman, Vidhya, and we are living happily there after.

No comments:

Post a Comment